Banana Republic City Sounds Volume 2
This summer Banana Republic celebrates the inspiration of urban life with the release of City Sounds, a new digital album featuring never-before-heard tracks from the nine music artists appearing in the City Stories national ad campaign, including exclusive first tracks from OK Go and Liz Phair’s highly-anticipated new albums, as well as songs by Sara Bareilles, Ayo,Dashboard Confessional’s Chris Carrabba, Tommy Torres and more.
The limited edition digital album, available as a gift-with-purchase only in Banana Republic stores starting May 13, reflects the diversity of these artists, ranging from acoustic soul to introspective pop, modern jazz to indie rock.
Paris-based R&B songstress Ayo sings of her travels through European metropolises, while Sara Bareilles and Dashboard Confessional search for love amid the bars and streets of their adopted cities. Both acclaimed violinist David Garrett and Grammy-winning saxophonist David Sánchez find solace at dawn in the canyons of Manhattan, and Latin pop star Tommy Torres and emerging jazz bassist/vocalist Esperanza Spalding celebrate their beloved hometowns (San Juan and Portland, respectively) across the continent from each other. Among the tantalizing selections are brand new songs from Liz Phair andOK Go’s highly anticipated new albums due later in 2009, only available to customers who make a purchase in Banana Republic stores during the campaign.
- OK Go - Skyscrapers
- This stylish Chicago pop/rock band pay homage to city skylines with this soulful new track, which will next appear on their new album out later this summer.
- Liz Phair - Faith & Tenderness
- The alt-rock icon returns! This heartfelt and intimate love song is an exclusive sneak preview into Liz Phair’s first independent release since 1994’s Whip-Smart.
- Sara Bareilles - City (Acoustic)
- A powerful unreleased solo acoustic version of Bareilles’ song of loneliness and love in Los Angeles. The original version appears on the top 10 hit album Little Voice.
- Dashboard Confessional - Rooftops and Invitations (Live)
- Never-before-heard live acoustic version of Chris Carrabba’s romantic tale of falling in love among the rooftops, bars and streets of the city.
- Ayo - Now I Feel Better
- Previously unreleased reggae-inflected acoustic soul track chronicles Ayo’s life and musical journey through Hamburg, London and Paris.
- Tommy Torres - San Juan
- Latin Grammy-winning producer/songwriter/musician sings about his glorious hometown, the capital of Puerto Rico.
- David Garrett - New Day
- Inspired by the sun rising over the man-made canyons of Manhattan, this is the North American debut of this track from German violinist David Garrett.
- Esperanza Spalding - City Of Roses
- This musical dedication to jazz bassist and vocalist’s native city of Portland was written and recorded exclusively for the ’City Stories’ campaign.
- David Sanchez - City Sunrise
- Grammy-winning saxophonist evokes the grooving modern jazz of ’60s Wayne Shorter and Miles Davis in this exclusive ’City Stories’ original composition.